Saturday, November 10, 2012

Thanksgiving & the First Americans: Virtual Tour of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History

     This coming week, we will be talking about Thanksgiving.  We will be learning about the holiday, its traditions, and history.  With its history comes some interesting facts about Native Americans, also known as American Indians.  My family and I were able to go to the Cleveland Museum of Natural History this weekend.  What a great afternoon it was!  We learned about many new things, including facts about the American Indians.  While I was there, I decided to take some pictures to share my learning adventure with you! Take a look and a virtual tour of  these artifacts with me:

Welcome to the museum!

The Native Americans used stone to make tools and arrowheads.

Clay pottery and dishes, decorated by the Indians.


(Take a close look at the pottery, we will be making our own "chalk pots" this week!)

Models of what the Native Americans looked like
Native Americans were all over the North America.  Here is Isaac pointing out a map of Indian tribes that were once right here in Ohio!  




They wore headpieces with beads and feathers.

Here are some more tools and a bear skin.

They even made toys for the children!
I am so excited to share these pictures and the Thanksgiving lessons I have planned for you next week!  

To learn more about the museum and all it has to offer, click on the link below!

No comments:

Post a Comment